Re: next-line + recenter (- redraw frame)?

From: Peter Tury
Subject: Re: next-line + recenter (- redraw frame)?
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:36:28 GMT

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 23:20:55 +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Please compare it to scroll-down-in-place in lisp/term/sun.el by Jeff
> Peck!
>
> (defun scroll-down-in-place (n)
>    (interactive "p")
>    (previous-line n)
>    (scroll-down n))
>
> (defun scroll-up-in-place (n)
>    (interactive "p")
>    (next-line n)
>    (scroll-up n))

Hi,

thanks for the info! This is again really almost the same as I wanted.
(Recenter is not so important, maybe scroll- is better.) However this has a
"big" disadvantage: it forgets the correct column always. The problem is in
next-line (more exactly: line-move-1) as I mentioned earlier, I know...

What do you think: is it realistic to modify simple.el "officially" to
eliminate this "bug"? I think we would have a variable
column-keeping-line-moves-list or something similar what would tell what
commands should be treated as now next-line and previous-line. Its default
could be '(next-line previous-line), so we would have backword
compatibility.

After this, if the user adds e.g. scroll-up-in-place to this list, then
scroll-up-in-place would work "correctly" in the above form. (I can imagine
this is not the required functionality for scroll-up-in-place, but it is
just an example here).

What should I do if I want to propose this "officially"? I see that
simple.el's maintainer is FSF...

Br,