Re: Emacs as the desktop?

From: Zajcev Evgeny
Subject: Re: Emacs as the desktop?
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:09:55 +0300

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

> "gamename" <namesagame-usenet@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> I normally run emacs inside a vnc session with "blackbox" and the
>> desktop manager.  Is there any way to simply use Emacs as the desktop
>> manager instead?
>
> I found this, http://www.nongnu.org/xwem/, but only for XEmacs. I
> haven't tried it myself, as i don't use XEmacs.

That is pretty dead link, xwem now hosting separately at
http://www.xwem.org

xwem runs only under XEmacs and SXEmacs, there was plans porting xwem
to GNU Emacs, however there was no volunteers to do the job.  However
i suspect serious fundamental problems in porting.  Some time ago i
wrote about it to Kim Storm:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-04/msg00136.html

If someone really interested in trying to port xwem to GNU Emacs i
will provide help as much as needed!

As to xwem itself, it is extremely ergonomic and powerfull Desktop for
Emacsen ..

Main problem why xwem is not widely used is total lack of
documentation, however xwem team is very friendly to new users

If you are seriously consider making xwem be your desktop also
consider SXEmacs.  Its FFI feature in conjunction with upcoming
xlib-ffi for SXEmacs will make xwem run 10-100 times faster then with
native xlib written in Emacs lisp

--
lg