Re: Finding Unused Identifiers

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Finding Unused Identifiers
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:43:42 -0700

August Karlstrom wrote:
> Thanks Markus for your remarks. When I tested my functions I had
> previously changed the syntax class for `-' to "w" (word) and then
> forgot that, so I never noticed the problem. I wonder why the syntax
> class of dash is not "word" by default in LISP buffers.

Because "-" is a symbol constituent, not a word constituent:

 - Syntax class: word constituent
     "Word constituents" (designated by `w') are parts of normal
     English words and are typically used in variable and command names
     in programs.  All upper- and lower-case letters, and the digits,
     are typically word constituents.

 - Syntax class: symbol constituent
     "Symbol constituents" (designated by `_') are the extra characters
     that are used in variable and command names along with word
     constituents.  For example, the symbol constituents class is used
     in Lisp mode to indicate that certain characters may be part of
     symbol names even though they are not part of English words.
     These characters are `$&*+-_<>'.  In standard C, the only
     non-word-constituent character that is valid in symbols is
     underscore (`_').

--
Kevin Rodgers