cvs-status suddenly broken

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: cvs-status suddenly broken
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 11:58:37 -0700

I'm using Emacs 21.4 on Solaris 9 (x86), and cvs-status is no longer
showing 1 file per line but now displays a bunch of italicized lines
from the " *cvs-tmp*" buffer prefixed with "Message:".  This appears to
be the same symptom others have reported, to which Stefan has responded
that it is likely due to a known bug in CVS+SSH+libc on GNU/Linux or
MacOS X.

But I'm not on either of those operating systems, and my CVSROOT
specifies the pserver protocol.

The cvs binary and the shared libraries it links to haven't changed on
my desktop, but CVS on the remote Solaris 8 SPARC server was just
upgraded from feature version 1.12.8 (released in May 2004) to feature
version 1.12.13 (released in Oct. 2005), from the distribution at
http://ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu/cvs/binary/feature/sparc-sunos/

Any ideas on what's gone wrong and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
--
Kevin Rodgers