get aspell/ispell working

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: get aspell/ispell working
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:01:07 -0600

Somewhere along the way I've quit using ispell and now when I do I get
this error when pressing M-x ispell-word:

ispell-init-process:
  Error: No word lists can be found for the language "en_US".

I have this in site-start.el:

   (setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
And far as I know thats it in any init files.

I don't have ispell itself installed.  But do have aspell installed.

What is the normal way to use aspell and have it all loaded when
needed?