multiple Emacs versions on w32

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: multiple Emacs versions on w32
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:59:37 GMT

I am using both 21.3 and 22.0.50.1 on the same machine (w32-msw98).
Autoexec.bat has "set HOME=d:\emacs"; emacs 21.3 is in d:\emacs\emacs21.3
and the cvs version is in e:\emacs\emacs. Both start with --debug-init
which doesn't report any problems. Since the .emacs is in the home
directory, the two versions are stomping all over each other. For
example,even if I hide the versions from each other they seem to update
the .emacs in different ways (probably due to subtle changes in the side
effects of functions or in the use of built in variables. display-time,
iswitchb, and recentf-mode work differently. Is there any way that I can
parameterize the invocation of the two versions or at least set them up so
as to allow each one to load its own separate version of the dotemacs? For
now I use the cvs version only for its more complete documentation and for
tutorial purposes since it won't run for longer than a couple of hours
without causing a segmentation fault.

Thanks,

Ed