Re: Redifine shortkeys?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Redifine shortkeys?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:39:27 -0700

Mathias Dahl wrote:
I agree not messing with this but if he want to go there, here's a
start:

For saving:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-s") 'save-buffer)

For searching:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-f") 'isearch-forward)

A problem with the latter is that the bindings that work "inside"
isearch still is the same and are more cumbersome to set (it is
possible though).

(define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-f") 'isearch-repeat-forward)

Many years ago I rebound stuff in Emacs. That was a bad idea. I could
recommend binding commonly used commands to the Fx keys and to use
other unbound keys, but in most cases I avoid rebinding Emacs' stanard
keys as there is often a logic behind them that gets more useful the
more you use Emacs.

Agreed!  But there's always an exception that proves the rule:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-q") 'toggle-read-only) ; vc-toggle-read-only
(global-set-key (kbd "C-x v q") 'vc-toggle-read-only)

--
Kevin Rodgers