Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:27:50 +0200

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:59:37 GMT
>
> I am using both 21.3 and 22.0.50.1 on the same machine (w32-msw98).
> Autoexec.bat has "set HOME=d:\emacs"; emacs 21.3 is in d:\emacs\emacs21.3
> and the cvs version is in e:\emacs\emacs. Both start with --debug-init
> which doesn't report any problems. Since the .emacs is in the home
> directory, the two versions are stomping all over each other.

Why would you need two versions of Emacs on the same machine?  If
that's because the CVS version crashes, then (a) report the crashes,
and (b) don't use the CVS version until the crashes are fixed.

> Is there any way that I can parameterize the invocation of the two
> versions or at least set them up so as to allow each one to load its
> own separate version of the dotemacs?

One way to do that is to have 2 batch files that set HOME (each one to
a different place) before they run runemacs.exe.

> For now I use the cvs version only for its more complete
> documentation and for tutorial purposes since it won't run for
> longer than a couple of hours without causing a segmentation fault.

I use the CVS version exclusively, and it runs for weeks without
crashing.  So please report the crashes (to emacs-devel@gnu.org),
because they shouldn't happen.