Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:31:02 +0200

> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:14:00 -0000
> From: "Phillip Lord" <Phillip.Lord@newcastle.ac.uk>
>
> launch emacs with "-q -l ~/.emacs.22" (or what ever file
> you want to use).

That won't produce the same effect as a .emacs file, since the init
file is loaded at a different stage of the startup process than files
loaded through -l.  The OP could have subtle problems if he used this
suggestion.

> Or alternatively you could use the emacs-version variable, and
> have your .emacs work appropriately. You'd need check that your
> `custom-file' is being set appropriately.

But this won't solve the original problem, as I understand it: that
Emacs updates .emacs when you save certain settings.  Setting
`custom-file' is not going to resolve this 100%, as some packages
write to .emacs.