Re: FW: Make a simple search in an info file.

From: Michael Cadilhac
Subject: Re: FW: Make a simple search in an info file.
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:05:49 +0100

>   To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>   I've a  strong desire those days:  make a _simple_  search within an
>   info file or in outline-mode.
>
>   For  example,  open  the  Elisp  manual,  and  search  for  «  local
>   variables:  ». Isearch  will then  go to  every _references_  to the
>   section  Local Variables,  and  not  to every  actual  match of  the
>   search (_with_ the `:' ).
>
>   It's because the search is made on the real text, that's to say, the
>   whole  text  without hidden  things.  Here,  references  on «  Local
>   but just shown as « Local Variables » ; that explains the match.
>
>   It's like in outline mode when some hidden subtrees are hidden: when
>   a search is made, Isearch also searches in the hidden text.
>   Can I param Isearch to make the search on the literal shown text ?
>
> What version of Emacs are you using?

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.37 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2006-03-16

> This problem has, I think, been fixed more than once (;-)) for Emacs 22,
> since it has shown its head in several places, including File, Next in the
> header and Note, Menu in body text. I don't know if Local Variables has also
> been fixed. CCing emacs-devel.

  I hope you understood clearly what I wrote :-)

  The problem is not for Local Variables in particular, it was just an
  example.

  Every reference in  an info file has « hidden text  », as you surely
  know. In fact, if I copy text that contains a reference then past it
  I obtain, for example :

I copy from the Elisp manual :

     *Note Strings of Events, for special considerations for strings of
keyboard character events.

  and I past (note the semicolons):

     *Note Strings of Events::, for special considerations for strings of
keyboard character events.

  My problem is just that the Isearch is made on the « unhidden »
  text. I see « Strings of Events » but it matches « Strings of
  Events:: » too.

  It may not be a bug, but a feature, but I'd like to disable it :-)

  BTW, for  outline-mode, the `...' notation that  expands itself when
  a match of a  search is in it, is not a «  feature » that Gnus's `...'
  has.

  Thanks.

--
    Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |
                    Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |   )\._.,--....,'``.