Re: hiding code between line numbers

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: hiding code between line numbers
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 18:55:01 -0800

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:09:53 +0100,
Marc Tfardy <m-t-o___CUT_IT___@web.de> wrote:
>Ryan Howard schrieb:
>> I am editing a long program and would like to be able to hide
>> lines 156 to 979.  This would allow me to page up quickly from
>> line 985 and see variable names created on line 150.  Is there
>> an easy way to do this?  I sometimes split the buffer with
>> Cx-2, but there are cases where I have multiple sections in
>> the program that I would like to hide just to allow quicker
>> scrolling.  Any suggestions are welcome.
> [...]
> But I use for quic jumps another feature - bookmakrs.
> I've definded in my .emacs two pairs of set/jump key bindings:

I also use bookmarks heavily for this sort of thing.  Registers
are very useful too.

Ryan,

if you don't know already about the `point-to-register' command
(bound to `C-x /' by default), search for its description in the
manual.  Using registers, you can:

    1. mark certain places in the code with short, one-character
       names by hitting `C-x / CHAR'

    2. jump back to them with `C-x j CHAR'

I've already read the post where you say that `hide-region.el'
does what you need, but I just thought about this anyway since
it's a very useful and frequently unknown feature of Emacs :)

- Giorgos