Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:37:01 GMT

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
news:mailman.7.1142594542.3794.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> > From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> > Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:22:41 GMT
> >
> > ii. I tried to report bugs to the address published in emacs itself
> > (emacs-devel@gnu.org), but nothing happened and then to the ng
> > gnu.emacs.bugs but my posting didn't appear there either. Finally Eli
had
> > to send me instructions on how to install an msw version of gdb so
that I
> > could start emacs in that environment. The bottom line is that I don't
> > know enough yet to start reporting bugs. This msw98 os seems to be
held
> > together with spit and string and my reporting of symptoms would be
too
> > nebulous to be of any help to the developers. All I know is that the
> > system either bluescreens or blackscreens about 10 times more
frequently
> > with 22 running than with 21.
>
> The only report from you I found in emacs-devel archives was from 2
> weeks ago, and it talked about Windows 2000 on a Compaq E500, not
> about Windows 98.  (On the contrary, you said that on Windows 98 Emacs
> does run well.)
>
> In response I gave you directions to where you could download GDB and
> asked for more details.  You never followed up, so I really cannot see
> how could I help more.
>
> So ``I reported but nothing happened'' is hardly a fair description of
> that event.
>
> If you do have more details, by all means post them to emacs-devel,
> and I'm sure someone will respond and try to help.
>
> > iii. emacs-build-time for ver. 22 is (17372 40543 497000) if that's
any
> > help.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, this is about 45 days ago.  I don't think Emacs
> 22 was so flaky then, but if you can build the latest CVS version,
> please try.
>
> But the really useful information would be to tell what are you doing
> when Emacs crashes.  Also, perhaps try selectively commenting out
> parts of your .emacs and see if that helps.  For starters, launch
> "emacs -q" and see how long it manages to stay alive.  If there are
> significant differences in stability between "emacs -q" and the normal
> session, the key to unlocking this mystery is in some package you load
> in your .emacs or some feature you turn on there.
>
> > The only (maybe) thing that doesn't work is the working directory
> > specified in the shortcut to the emacs2.bat file. default-directory
> > is set to HOME rather than this document subdirectory.
>
> You can control this in the shortcut's Properties.
>
> > emac1.bat works correctly it even uses use-file-dialog correctly,
> > which 22.0.50.1 doesn't do.
>
> The file dialog does work for me in Emacs 22 (on Windows XP).  So this
> sounds like another bug, perhaps specific to your machine's setup.
> Please report it.

Thanks, Eli. Please don't tell me to build anything. I think I once got a
clean compile of the hello.c example from Kernigan and Ritchie but I'm not
sure. After running Norton Utilities and then re-booting I don't
experience the aforesaid flakiness. I may have too many things running at
the same time.

Ed.