SPC no longer completes in minibuffer?

From: Viktor Haag
Subject: SPC no longer completes in minibuffer?
Date: 23 Mar 2006 06:00:48 -0800

It appears that the 22.x maintainers have decided that letting the SPC
key complete filenames in the minibuffer is a bad idea, so they no
longer bind it to minibuffer-complete-word whn entering a filename into
the minibuffer.

After years and years of having my fingers trained to do this, I would
really like to switch back to the old way of doing things: in my world,
spaces in file and directory names happen /way/ less often than wanting
to use the SPC key for word completion when entering filenames.

Can anyone give advice on how to go re-invent the old behaviour given
the new changes that have been made to the way the minibuffer works now
(apparently a couple new keymaps have been created around this issue?
I'm not very familiar with how keymaps work, I'm afraid...)?

If anyone can help it would really save me some time and hassle --
thanks!

--
Viktor Haag