Re: newbie needs help

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: newbie needs help
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:19:16 GMT

"len" <pcslen@comcast.net> wrote in message
1143296622.731429.44330@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com">news:1143296622.731429.44330@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I am trying to change the keymapping for the control key and caps lock.
>  I have successfully accomplished this through xmodmap in my gui
> environment.  I would like to do the same in the command line
> environment.  I have read the man pages in xmodmap and have found the
> lines of code.  I do not know where to put the code.  I am trying to
> learn Linux/Unix and Emacs.
>
> Also because I have a dual boot system I would like to make the same
> key swap in my windows XP because I have also loaded Emacs there also.
>
> Len

There are a lot of interesting gizmos here for the w32 part of your
question:

http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/win32-cheat.html#ctrl

either ctrl2caps or caps.reg should work on msw2000 or later.

I don't know whether a dos window needs special treatment or not. On my
msw98 I need

keyb dv,,c:\dos\keyboard.sys

in autoexec.bat to use dvorak keyboard there. The same considerations
probably apply to any kind of keyswapping accomplished through software.

Ed