Re: terminal

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: terminal
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:29:01 +0200

Am 26.03.2006 um 13:42 schrieb gaetanoortisi@yahoo.it:

I check the FAQ, and try the set-terminal-coding-system and set- language-environment commands, but it seems not work. What I have to do?

With a modern version of GNU Emacs (21.3, 21.4) it should be sufficient to set environment variables like LC_CTYPE to something like it_IT.ISO8859-15 (I presume that you pay in €, too). This should make most things work, except some characters/glyphs, which might make it necessary to create fontsets (C-h H can give hints). A final

        (prefer-coding-system 'iso-8859-15)

should make it clear. If you work in different ISO Latin environments

        (unify-8859-on-decoding-mode t)
        (unify-8859-on-encoding-mode t)

might be useful.

BTW, is your GNU Emacs running inside xterm or as an X client?

--
Greetings

  Pete

Bake Pizza not war!