Cant global map overwrite local maps?

From: Florian Kaufmann
Subject: Cant global map overwrite local maps?
Date: 29 Mar 2006 10:47:32 -0800

Hello

Isn't it possible to bind a key to command such that this definition is
effective in all major & minor modes? In my particular case I'd like to
bind forward-char and backward-char to C-j and C-l respectively. But I
'd like to write this definition only once, and not for all minor and
major modes which overwrite the global map. For example currently in my
init.el I not only have to write

(global-set-key [(control j)] 'backward-char)
(global-set-key [(control l)] 'forward-char)

but disturbingly also

(add-hook 'c++-mode-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (define-key c++-mode-map [(control j)] 'backward-char)
             (define-key c++-mode-map [(control l)] 'forward-char) ))

And I also have to add lines for countless of other modes I intend to
use.

Thanks & Greetings

Flo