Re: How do I check if the format of an email address is valid?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How do I check if the format of an email address is valid?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:24:49 +0200

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
> Thanks Reiner! Two small worries:
>
> - `message-valid-fqdn-regexp' (which is copied to
> gnus-button-valid-local-part-regexp') has a list of TLD:s. Is this
> really wise? I guess there will be new TLD:s. (In fact there may
> already be some that are not in this list.)

You can customize the variable!

> - It is maybe a pitty that you have to load those big modules (message
> and gnus) just to get the patterns.

You only need to (require 'message) to get message-valid-fqdn-regexp.
In anycase, if you're processing email addresses, it's rather probable
you'll have to process emails too.

And you only need to (require 'gnus-art) to get the other variables.

> And then I can not stop myself from wondering if there really are any
> format of email addresses that asures that conforming addresses are
> actually existing email adresses ;-)

Of course not.

Nobody can fix the economy.  Nobody can be trusted with their finger
on the button.  Nobody's perfect.  VOTE FOR NOBODY.