Re: How do I check if the format of an email address is valid?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: How do I check if the format of an email address is valid?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 00:25:23 +0200

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
Thanks Reiner! Two small worries:

- `message-valid-fqdn-regexp' (which is copied to
gnus-button-valid-local-part-regexp') has a list of TLD:s. Is this
really wise? I guess there will be new TLD:s. (In fact there may
already be some that are not in this list.)

You can customize the variable!
This argument can be used in the reverse direction too. Do most users really gain something from the list of known TLD:s in the regexp?

- It is maybe a pitty that you have to load those big modules (message
and gnus) just to get the patterns.

You only need to (require 'message) to get message-valid-fqdn-regexp.
In anycase, if you're processing email addresses, it's rather probable
you'll have to process emails too.

And you only need to (require 'gnus-art) to get the other variables.
I just want to check the format of email addresses entered on a html page.

And then I can not stop myself from wondering if there really are any
format of email addresses that asures that conforming addresses are
actually existing email adresses ;-)

Of course not.
And I will probably never learn the fine art of joking in email messages ;-)