Re: double/single quotes strange behavior

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: double/single quotes strange behavior
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 16:03:38 +0200

"billy" <bp1497@att.com> writes:

> Some how I manage to get emacs/terminal into a mode where if I type a "
> or a ' it doesn't display or move the cursor until I hit another
> character.  I'm using PC  and PuTTY as my interface to a HPUX server.
> If I exit hpux then reenter the problem goes away. the doulbe and
> single quote act the same in this box.
>
> If this is a feature of the PC and/or hpux, why des it come and go.

This is a long shot, but it could be that pressing ALT-SHIFT
(and nothing else) on windows does change the keyboard layout/language
used by windows.  You might see this in the taskbar (the blue rectangle
witht two letter language code).  It seems that this setting can be
program dependend so closing down PuTTY and restarting it will
make the problem go away until you hit the magic key combination again.

Wim Oudshoorn.