Re: emacs is slow while processing a big file

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: emacs is slow while processing a big file
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:21:14 +0100

Saravanan M D wrote:
> It is a verilog file (text) and its size is 17MB. The mode is verilog.

OK. Well, if you read David Kastrup's answer, he points out that if
font-lock is on, things will be slow. So one question is: "Is font-lock
on?" (that's the pretty syntax-colouring) and "Do I need it?".

Surely, you can't be _editing_ a 17mb file?? Is there a way to look at a
smaller bit of it? I believe Emacs loads the whole file when you open
it, so a big file takes a lot of memory - I don't know, but there may be
a package allowing you to view "bits" of a file in memory at one time -
anyone? As verilog's syntax is simple, a truncation probably wouldn't
confuse the mode very much either.

Finally, and slightly off-topic, PLEASE don't top post. It really is
very irritating.

Good luck anyway,

Rupert