Problem installing emacs on Solaris 8

From: McAuliffe, Rik
Subject: Problem installing emacs on Solaris 8
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:30:32 -0600

Hello,

While building emacs based on the normal build procedure:

./configure
make

I encounter the same problem that is described by:  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2003-08/msg00445.html

It fails when it attempts to use emacs while executing the make on ./src/Makefile with a "segmentation fault".

Just for fun I ran emacs from the ./src installation directory, it appears to work fine but upon exit it has a "segmentation fault" as described in the above problem description.

I am using gcc version 3.4.2 and have tried to install both emacs-21.3 and 21.4a.  Both versions exhibit this same problem.

After looking in the PROBLEMS file I tried passing the -znocombreloc link editor switch, but this does not appear to exist, only a -zcombreloc is considered valid.  There is also a mention of using the standard Solaris linker, but I'm unfamiliar with what this takes.

Can anyone suggest where the problem lies?

Thank you in advance.

Rik McAuliffe