Re: Check for other running emacs sessions?

From: noreply
Subject: Re: Check for other running emacs sessions?
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:23:53 -0700

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> kgold wrote:
>> A better solution is to run only one emacs server and connect
>> multiple clients to it.  That is, start gnuserv as part of your
>> login script. Use gnuclient to edit files.
>>
>> The main advantage is that the client starts much faster than the server.

It is only a good solution to run one emacs and multiple clients if
you don't ever run anything that ties emacs up.  If emacs is doing
something or waiting for a process to complete, you often cannot work
on any other buffers under that instance of emacs.  I don't like not
being able to update my calendar because gnus is checking my mail, for
example.

> Another advantage is that you can not by mistake open a file twice.

This is a disadvantage, but a minor one to me.  I segregate tasks
under different instances of emacs, so it doesn't happen much.

Brian