Re: problem visiting .emacs

From: Gary Weselle
Subject: Re: problem visiting .emacs
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 20:36:41 -0700

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
news:mailman.111.1144294710.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> > From: "Gary Weselle" <weselle_g@hotmain.com>
> > Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:39:06 -0700
> >
> > 1) Find file: C:\emacs-21.3\bin/, I want to see my HOME directory
instead.

> If you are invoking Emacs from a desktop shortcut, set the starting
> directory via the Property sheets of that shortcut.
>
> > 2) not able to visit .c:\path-to-file\.emacs.
>
> Type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET".  This should work.  The error message
> about aspell means that somehow you start the speller for Lisp files,
> which is the reason for your apparent inability to visit .emacs.
> You need to solve that problem first.

the only other reference to spell in my .emacs is
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode t) ; check spelling

now how could I solve the problem with the speller starting for Lisp files.
I really don't know how can it be since the same .emacs file is being used
for my Linux box and works fine. this problem happened after I installed
aspell under cygwin. does this help.
thanks