Re: Word wrap / "soft" line breaks

From: roodwriter
Subject: Re: Word wrap / "soft" line breaks
Date: 07 Apr 2006 04:52:01 -0400

Sven Havemann <s.havemann@cgv.tugraz.at> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to configure the behaviour of Emacs concerning the
> display of long lines of text.
>
> What it does:
> =============
> Long lines (say 800 characters with one newline at the end) fill
> several lines in the window, but emacs treats them as one long
> continuous line: Words are broken right in the middle and continued on
> the next line, which is indicated with a small bent arrow. Navigation
> is possible only to the left and right, the up and down keys may skip
> a dozen lines in the window. The alternative is using auto-fill, but
> that inserts many newlines, and I have to re-format the paragraph
> whenever I change something in it.
>
> What I would like it to do:
> ===========================
> A true word wrap mode where long lines fill the width of the window,
> but complete words are put on the next line if they do not fit. Up-
> and down-keys work as expected, going down one line on the screen, and
> not one line of the file.
>

> Any help is appreciated,
> thanks in advance,
> cheers,
> Sven

That's long been a problem with Emacs, but not anymore. Get the add-on
longlines.el. That'll give you exactly what you're looking for.

I'm a full-time writer and I use it every day. It's much superior to
all the other work-arounds.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.