Re: problem visiting .emacs

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: problem visiting .emacs
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 22:23:59 +0100

Gary Weselle wrote:
"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
news:mailman.111.1144294710.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...

From: "Gary Weselle" <weselle_g@hotmain.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:39:06 -0700

1) Find file: C:\emacs-21.3\bin/, I want to see my HOME directory

instead.

If you are invoking Emacs from a desktop shortcut, set the starting
directory via the Property sheets of that shortcut.

2) not able to visit .c:\path-to-file\.emacs.

Type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET".  This should work.  The error message
about aspell means that somehow you start the speller for Lisp files,
which is the reason for your apparent inability to visit .emacs.
You need to solve that problem first.

the only other reference to spell in my .emacs is
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode t) ; check spelling

now how could I solve the problem with the speller starting for Lisp files.
I really don't know how can it be since the same .emacs file is being used
for my Linux box and works fine. this problem happened after I installed
aspell under cygwin. does this help.
thanks

Is the word "Fly" in the mode-line for .emacs?
If so, flyspell-mode is enabled.
This will cause emacs to start the program defined in
ispell-program-name when you load .emacs, and if it fails to
start, emacs tries to restart it for every edit.

ispell-program-name defaults to "ispell" but can also be changed to "aspell"
or other compatible program.
To disable or enable flyspell for this buffer use M-x flyspell-mode

IIRC, most programming modes are derived from text-mode, and so may inherit
the mode-hooks.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.