Re: new package info not found

From: Cor Gest
Subject: Re: new package info not found
Date: 10 Apr 2006 22:29:29 +0000

Some entity AKA "Gary Weselle" <weselle_g@hotmain.com>
 wrote this mindboggling stuff:

(selectively-snipped-or-not-p)
> "Cor Gest" <cor@clsnet.nl> wrote in message
> 877j5x6tri.fsf@atthis.clsnet.nl">news:877j5x6tri.fsf@atthis.clsnet.nl...
> >

> > Some entity AKA "Gary Weselle" <weselle_g@hotmain.com>
> >  wrote this mindboggling stuff:
> >
> > (selectively-snipped-or-not-p)
> >
> > > I just installed tcl8.4 and tk8.4 and their docs, but not able to read
> their
> > > info pages with emacs. it is not there, however I can pull them out with
> > > #info on the shell.
> >
> > could be some reasons:
> > is info-path correct in your .emacs
> > are the Tc*.info files in that info-dir
> > have you edited .../info/dir file qnd put in the correct entries there.
> >
> > Cor
>
> I never had any such "info-path" variable in my .emacs and still have some
> info pages showing at M-x info, and realy don't now if such variable exists
> as I couldn't find what it is set to when I M-x info-path which shows it
> does not exist.
>
> the directory where the tcl info stuff are is /var/lib/dpkg/info/*

Info-path is internal to emacs with standard-values: /usr/info or
/usr/local/ibfo
but you ofcourse can set your own.
like:
(setq Info-directory-info-list '(cons ("/usr/info/" "/var/lib/dpkg/info/")))
should be able to find it.

But mostly I just dump progname.info files in /usr/local/info
and edit the "dir" file manually to get de main-items in the top-level.

info info  should enlighten much of this kind of trickery.

Cor

--
I do NOT use any Windows(TM) products, therefore
I do NOT fear mail from strangers        http://www.clsnet.nl/mail.html