Re: displaying international characters

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: displaying international characters
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:58:19 +0200

Ali El Dada <eldada@student.chalmers.se> writes:

> I used to be able to type a whole range of chacters in emacs, for
> example phonetic symbols, letters with dots below them, etc, and all
> from my custom made xkb keyboard. Now, after doing some updates to my
> system during the last few months, I try to type the same characters
> and it doesn't work in emacs, although it still works in, say, the web
> browser. Any hints where I'm doing wrong?
>
> I have the language environment set to UTF-8, which is also set as the
> encoding to save the file with. And emacs should still have the fonts,
> because I can still see the special characters well-displayed in old
> files. When I try now emacs doesn't even type a box for a missing
> character, it doesn't even respond :(

Does this also happen if you start emacs with

emacs -q --no-site-file

from the command line?  If so, then maybe this is a bug.  You could try
`M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET' before you visit such a file and then
hit `C-g' when Emacs "hangs" in order to get a backtrace.

What I don't understand in your description:  Does it happen with all
files you created in Emacs or just some of them?  Îf just some of them,
what are the conditions to cause this effect?

    Oliver
--
24 Germinal an 214 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!