Re: Strange errors under debian

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Strange errors under debian
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:43:06 +1000

anakreonmejdi@yahoo.gr writes:

> I posted few days ago a report on errors
> with emacs. This issue is very important to me
> because I can not invoke commands like compile
> and need to manually save each buffer now.
>
> The problem with the error is that the message
> reported provides no hints to me about the cause.
>
> Could someone give guidelines in order to detect
> the cause of the problem?
>
> If I sart emacs with --debug-init command line
> flag the messages reported are the same.

If you want some assistance, you need to provide more precise
information. To start with

             What version of Debian? (stable, testing, unstable,
             experimental etc)

             What version of Emacs? (20, 21, 22 snapshot etc)

             Are you running under X or console mode?

             What shell are you using?

             Have you applied all necessary updates?

             What is in your .emacs file and have you tried starting
             with the -q switch and seeing if you get the same problems?

Answers to these will probably create more questions, but at least
will narrow down some of the possible causes. The errors you report
indicate a misconfigured system. We need to try and identify what is
incorrect. I've never seen messages like the ones you are reporting.
I'm running both emacs 21 and emacs22 snapshot from experimental, but
my system is mostly Debian Etch (unstable).

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au