Re: asynchronous process management on WinWP; buffering problem?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: asynchronous process management on WinWP; buffering problem?
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:12:06 +0200

Miles Bader wrote:
Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
I do not understand this so I have some (perhaps stupid) questions:

- What determines how the buffering works?
- Can a program like Emacs change this behaviour?
- When does the buffering works differently? In a "console"? Is cmd.exe
a "console"? But is it not just another program?

In unix-like systems, typically a program will test whether the output
stream (stdout) is a terminal or not using something like the
"isatty(1)" function (which is a POSIX standard function I believe).
If it's a terminal it will use line-buffering, if not, it will use a
larger fixed buffer size (which is more efficient).

-Miles

Jason wrote:

 I think Emacs can affect the buffering of programs that it invokes
 directly.  In my experience, the buffering problems normally start
 when a program is run through some other program, the classic example
 being ssh being run by cvs and the password prompt not appearing in
 Emacs until you kill cvs. I don't think anything Emacs does can fix
 this.

Thanks Miles and Jason!

Can Emacs then tell _isatty that it is a terminal? Or what does Emacs do to handle this?

Note: It looks like the POSIX name now is _isatty.