RE: Shifting a column left or right using key

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Shifting a column left or right using key
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:04:52 -0700

    > BTW, if the OP had referenced the command name
    > (`apropos-documentation'),
    > instead of only the new keybinding (`C-h d'), there
    > would have been no need to know the Emacs version.

    Or "instead of only the keybinding" since there does not
    appear to have been an *old* keybinding.

Correct. I wrote "new keybinding" because `C-h d' was previously bound to
`describe-function', not because `apropos-documentation' had a different
keybinding previously. I could have been clearer.

    Sorry to sound so querulous.

No need to apologize. I enjoyed the style, actually. I thought "they are
just roundabout ways of running the ding function" was an interesting way to
say that they were undefined in your Emacs version. There is room on the
list for both clarity and inventiveness (combined or separately). I just
wanted to make sure others didn't miss your point - especially those who
might also have been thrown off by the implicit reference to the development
Emacs version.

    The default interpretation of the term Emacs (except in forums
    dedicated to the bleeding edge) should refer to the latest stable
    release, imho.

Agreed 100%. And it's good to not rely on any default interpretation but to
be explicit about the version.

It's perhaps unfortunate that we feel the need to refer to the CVS
development version at all in a mailing list aimed at helping each other
with Emacs. That's probably a reflection of two things: 1) there is
sometimes an easier way to do something in the development version (and
people feel like advertising it), and 2) the release cycle is so long now
(and we are so late in the current cycle) that many people now treat the
development version as a released version - they use it full-time every day.