Re: replace regex takes long

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: replace regex takes long
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:01:23 -0400

>> in fact I forget to say that I did hit ! which means "replace all"
> with M-x regex-replace it shows (replaced 304172 occurrences) and it is
> taking more than 5 minutes now and still have not finished the task.

After (replaced 304172 occurrences) is shown, the replacement is
completely done.  So if Emacs is still busy afterwards, it's busy doing
something else.  Could be something related to font-lock, or could be many
other things, but if it stays that way for 5minutes, it looks like a bug, so
please try to investigate to see what's using up so much time and report
your findings via M-x report-emacs-bug.

        Stefan