Re: asynchronous process management on WinWP; buffering problem?

From: Peter Tury
Subject: Re: asynchronous process management on WinWP; buffering problem?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:05:20 GMT

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:56:11 GMT, Peter Tury wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for all of your answers! They are pretty interesting and I am sure I
> can learn a lot from them. Really.
>
> However, unfortunately my real problem is not with buffering (I think)
> (maybe my subject is not so good). "I hope I could handle this through
> filter functions." Instead "my bigger problem is that it seems that some
> (too long?) data cannot be sent correctly.
>
> My question: do you know some easy "tricks" how to log/save/loopback/...
> every bytes sent by Emacs to (the stdin for) an async. process?"
>
> Please help me in this also. So: how can I check what bytes exactly arrive
> to the stdin for a process. I don't have the sources of the DOS program in
> question and I didn't want to start writing a C DOS program for it.

Well, finally I managed to get the sources of the DOS program + write my
own loopback.c for testing and found the bug in the DOS program -- it is
unrealted to Emacs ;-)

((The problem was it uses fgets to read a fixed amount of characters (from
stdin) what causes in some cases the reading of the "first half" of some
related data, and this "first half" is checked immediately, while its
"second half" is missing (=still not read by the next fgets)... and
executions stops when the incorrectness of the "first half" is
revealed...))

Thanks for all of your help,