Re: winows emacs - portable app

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: winows emacs - portable app
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:58:47 +0300

> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:47:38 -0400
> From: "Ryan Moszynski" <ryan.m.lists@gmail.com>
>
> this is the first time I've actually tried to use this on a lab
> computer(where i don't have administrative rights) for an extended
> period of time.  After a couple of minutes emacs starts throwing this
> error
>
> Creating directory: permission denied, c:/.emacs.d
>

> the error of course, is because i don't have permission to create that
> file there.

It tries to create the directory in your HOME directory, so if you set
HOME to a writable place, you should be done.

That directory is the place where Emacs writes files that record the
auto-save files open in your session, so that if Emacs crashes, it
will, when restarted, be able to find out which unsaved edits to
suggest you to recover.  You can customize the option
auto-save-list-file-prefix to force Emacs to write those files in a
different place.  Or set it to nil to disable the feature (I would
recommend this only as the last resort).