Re: No emacs info node

From: Sven Urbanski
Subject: Re: No emacs info node
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:39:10 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Sven Urbanski <inf8237@fh-wedel.de>
>> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:50:47 +0200
>>
>> In fact, I think it's not an emacs problem. When I have a shell (no
>> emacs, just bash) and type
>> $ info emacs
>> I get the emacs info node. But typing
>> $ info
>> g emacs
>> I get: Cannot find node `emacs'.
>> It's the same with typing
>> mEmacs
>> I get:
>> Menu item: Emacs [No completions]
>
> One possible reason for this discrepancy is that the file named `dir'
> in your `info' directory doesn't include a menu entry for the Emacs
> manual.  Can you verify that?

Yes, this is true.
I added two lines to this file (dir):
"* gcc: (gcc).       the gnu compiler
* emacs: (emacs).       gnu emacs
"

now everything's working as it should in bash _and_ in emacs.
Thanks for this hint!

But the file 'dir' is auto-generated, isn't it?
In other words: why did I have to add these lines ?

Sven