How to create a new buffer?

From: kj
Subject: How to create a new buffer?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:51:48 +0000 (UTC)

How can I create a new buffer that is not associated with a file?

My current "solution" to this problem is to use C-x m (compose-mail),
and I get rid of the mail headers.  (I like the fact that if I
forget that it is an "independent buffer"--i.e. one not associated
with any file--and try to save it, Emacs will remind me by prompting
for a file name.)

But there has to be a more civilized approach...

Thanks in advance!

kj