Re: menus; syntax highlighting does not seem to work (SUSE 10.0 Linux)

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: menus; syntax highlighting does not seem to work (SUSE 10.0 Linux)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:56:22 +1000

> Am 23.04.2006 um 14:02 schrieb Karl Sommer & Meryl Hale:
>
>> However, I soon noticed that the menus cannot be invoked with the
>> mouse
>
> Is your Emacs running as X client or without windows inside a
> terminal emulation? Then it's normal.

Not sure what you mean here. However, to clarify, the mouse and menus
don't work if your running under a console or within an xterm.
However, if your running emacs with X windows support, the menus
should work with the mouse.

>> my tex files do not show any syntax highlighting after invoking M-x
>> font-lock-mode except for some characters that are changed to bold
>> typeface.
>> There is however no colour.
>
> You don't switch on or off font-lock-mode interactively! Try
> something like this (XEmacs compliant):
>
>       (cond ((fboundp 'global-font-lock-mode)
>          ;; Turn on font-lock in all modes that support it
>          (global-font-lock-mode 1)
>       ;   (setq font-lock-multiline 'undecided')
>          (setq jit-lock-stealth-verbose t)
>          (setq jit-lock-mode t)
>       ;   (setq jit-lock-stealth-load 80)
>          ;; Maximum colors
>          (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)))
>       ;  (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration '((tex-mode . 2) (latex-mode
> .  2) (t . t)))

Its quite OK to switch font-lock mode on and off interactively, thats
why it has a menu option. The easiest way to enable font-lock is to
select it from the options menu and then select save options from that
menu. this will setup a 'customize' entry in your .emacs.

Are you running AucTex? If so, see the info manual on AucTex regarding
font locking. Recent versions of AucTex changed how font locking is
handled and its quite possible you may have a conflict between old
AucTex configuration entries and the new AucTex setup.

As an experiment and to eliminate any problems in your .emacs, try
running emacs with the -q switch and see if things work correctly. If
they do, then the problem is in your .emacs

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au