Re: python mode

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: python mode
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:11:43 +1000

>> I opened a file.py but emacs 21.4.1 on debian testing didn't switch
>> the mode to the python mode. what do I need to do to fix this.
>

>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PythonMode
>> Gnu Emacs post 21 has its own python mode (python.el).
>
> Emacs-21.4 is in the family "Emacs-21", so it's not *post*-Emacs-21.
> There is no released Emacs version with built-in python mode.  You can use
> Emacs-CVS or install python.el manually.

also, Debian 'unstable' has emacs-snapshot, which is the latest CVS
emacs and is updated approximately weekly. I've been using it
exclusively as my emacs for the past month and it works very nicely.

My base system is Debian testing (etch), but I have unstable apt
repositories in my apt sources file (and a apt setting specifying that
testing is my preferred distribution). This prevents apt-get from
trying to update all of the packages in unstable - once you choose a
package from unstable, it will only install whatever prerequisites
that package needs from unstable and then only upgrade those when
necessary - outcome is you can use package from both testing and
unstable (but don't get too carried away!).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au