Re: Remote .emacs file

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: Remote .emacs file
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:52:47 +0200

At Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:00:21 -0400,
"Leonid Grinberg" <lgrinberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a long-time Perl programmer, but unfortunately only know
> Emacs-Lisp on a theoretical level. However, I do use Emacs a lot, and
> have a relatively small, but still useful .emacs file. It has
> configurations in it, without which I am starting to feel
> uncomfortable. I use Emacs on many different machines (~5), and it
> would be nice to have a standard .emacs file.

maybe this works for you: put the following lines in all your .emacs
files, and put the rest on a web server:

  (defun my-eval-url-callback ()
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (re-search-forward "^\r?$" nil 1)
    (delete-region (point-min) (point))
    (eval-buffer))

  (url-retrieve "http://example.org/emacs.el"; 'my-eval-url-callback)

i tested this only superficially. i, too, use version control (darcs)
for my .emacs.

regards,

anselm