problem customising Emacs using m-x set-face-display

From: brent
Subject: problem customising Emacs using m-x set-face-display
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:47:42 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to set up a .emacs file to customise the 'default' face and the
main 'menu' at start up. I am a new Emacs user and fairly new to GNU Linux.

I have created the .emacs file via the command, m-x set-face-display.
This command allows me to activate customisation buffers to modify the
foreground and background colours and the font sizes for both the 'default'
face and the 'menu' face.

If I try 'Set for current Session', then all the changes work fine. If I try
'Save for future Sessions' and then shutdown and restart Emacs, then I find
that the colour changes work but the fonts fail to re-size.

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks,
Brent

my system details,

Mandrake Linux 10.1 Community Edition,
kernel compiled from source, version 2.6.8.1-26mdk
KDE version 3.2.3
Emacs --version GNU Emacs 21.3.2

The complete listing for the generated .emacs file is as follows,

 (custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(pc-select-meta-moves-sexps t)
 '(pc-select-selection-keys-only t)
 '(pc-selection-mode t t))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(default ((t (:stipple nil :background "lightyellow" :foreground
"black" :inverse-video nil :box nil
   :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil
   :slant normal :weight normal :height 150
   :width expanded :family "misc-fixed"))))
 '(menu ((t (:background "cyan" :foreground "red" :weight normal :family
"misc-fixed")))))