Re: Special-purpose keyboard buttons

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Special-purpose keyboard buttons
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 07:50:29 +0000

RD <rjjd@localnet.com> wrote on Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:10:06 -0400:
> I'm wondering how to get emacs to see the "extra" buttons on my Dell
> keyboard, model SK-3185,

> There are little round buttons marked with <-, ->, a little house,
> envelope, picture of a calculator, etc.

YUCK!  ;-)

> There are also player controls: stop, left, right, music notes, and a
> rotary knob for sound volume.

> On Windows, the buttons do things, e.g.:

> The music notes start Windows Media Player, and the player controls
> operate the Player.

> The Envelope button starts mail.  The button with a picture of a
> calculator starts the calculator.
> etc.

> On Linux (Redhat 9), the buttons have no effect.

> How can I find out what these buttons' names are?  Once I know the
> names, will I be able to bind them in emacs with ordinary global-set-key
> commands?

In Emacs, press these keys, then follow up with C-h l (`view-lossage').
That should tell you what Emacs is seeing.  If Emacs sees nothing, then
you'll need to enhance your keyboard configuration.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter