RE: emacs 22 - regular-expression isearch on spacesextremely lenient

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: emacs 22 - regular-expression isearch on spacesextremely lenient
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:44:16 -0700

    > FWIW, I agree with Miles on this - this is a misfeature, if
    turned on by
    > default. It should be off by default, and you should be able
    to turn it on
    > via a simple toggle during incremental search (regexp or plain).

    who's miles?

Miles Bader. He wrote this in reply to your original post:

    "Ken Manheimer" <ken.manheimer@gmail.com> writes:
    > i'm starting to realize that this behavior has been in emacs 22 for at
    > least a while, and is not in emacs 21.  can anyone tell me whether or
    > not it's deliberate, and what the rationale is?

    I'm pretty sure it's deliberate, though I can't give a good rationale
    for it (I think it's stupid and annoying behavior), nor find a NEWS
    entry for it....  However I recall people talking about it on
    emacs-devel as if it were a feature.

----------------

    (i guess it's too late to propose inverting the mode of the feature on
    emacs-devel?  i'd just copy this posting over there, asking if
    it's worth
    reopening the discussion.  i wouldn't want to do that, though,
    if the discussion
    ended on a conclusive pronouncement that even dismissed
    revisiting in the event
    of complaints...)

I would say to go ahead and say what you think to emacs-devel. If someone
finds that inappropriate, s?he will say so.