Re: How to pipe text or load a file directly into mail-mode?

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: How to pipe text or load a file directly into mail-mode?
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 21:16:41 +0300

On Wed, 3 May 2006 16:05:54 +0100, Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2006-05-03, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 May 2006 12:29:03 +0100, Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I'd like the output of a Perl program to end up in an Emacs mail-mode
>>> buffer, ready to proofread, edit and then send with C-c C-c.  I don't
>>> mind whether my program
>>>
>>> 1. pipes the output to an emacs command, or
>>>
>>> 2. saves the output in a temp file and opens it with an emacs command.
>
> I forgot to make something clear: emacs is *not* running when the Perl
> program starts.  The Perl program generates the unedited message and
> then launches emacs.

Oh!  I misunderstood you then.  Sorry.

This is kind of backwards.  I usually let Emacs start other programs as
inferior processes, instead of the other way around.  Perhaps someone
more experienced with Emacs can help you with this (i.e. you could write
a function that can be called with:

    perl script.pl | emacs --batch -f foo-function

and let `foo-function' read from the standard input stream.  But I know
far too little to do that myself.