Re: .emacs key maps are overwritten by php-mode

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: .emacs key maps are overwritten by php-mode
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 21:27:00 +0200

Stefan Horomnea wrote:
Hello,
I write something in my .emacs file like this:
(global-set-key [(control ?d)] 'kill-ring-save)

This works fine, in other modes (text, html, etc.). But when I open a php file, my Ctrl+d instead of kill-ring-save does c-electric-delete-forward . And I have several commands in my .emacs file, that are broken by the loading of the php-mode. What's the catch ?

Thank you.

Stefan
There is a convention that major modes should use, see "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions" (maybe this is only find in current CVS Emacs?):

  * Please do not define `C-c LETTER' as a key in Lisp programs.
    Sequences consisting of `C-c' and a letter (either upper or lower
    case) are reserved for users; they are the *only* sequences
    reserved for users, so do not block them.

So the php-mode you use does not follow this convention. Perhaps it would be good to contact the author?