Re: open with from dired

From: roodwriter
Subject: Re: open with from dired
Date: 08 May 2006 11:38:49 -0400

Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> listed in dired window a pdf file, which I want to view using xpdf,
> how can I do this from the dired buffer?
>
> thanks

On top of the traditional ways, there's also an add-on called Extview
which opens files using outside programs, such as XPDF, based on their
extension. It does this both from Dired and with find-file. One
advantage is that using the traditional ! switch with dired locks up
Emacs until you close the other program. Extview does not and leaves
Emacs free for continued used.

If you need to open a file in Emacs that has an extension that Extview
will open in another viewer, like HTML, you use M-x
find-file-literally to open it in Emacs.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.