Re: How to pipe text or load a file directly into mail-mode?

From: Ralf Fassel
Subject: Re: How to pipe text or load a file directly into mail-mode?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 14:11:41 +0200

* Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com>
| >       (add-hook 'mail-mode-hook 'mail-abbrevs-setup)
|
| I didn't know about this feature -- thanks.

Does this solve the problem?

| I get "[no match]" when I get to "expand-m" or type any more of it
| than that.

This indicates that the file which defines the function has not been
loaded at that time, and the function is not flagged as auto-loadable.
Most probably invoking C-c C-c loads additional packages which then
define the function.  If the above add-hook does not solve the
problem, you can try to find out which library file provides the
functionality (describe-function should tell you which elisp file
defines the function) and load it manually in your .emacs.

Eg, my emacs-21 has
M-x describe-function expand-mail-aliases
=>  expand-mail-aliases is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `mailalias'.

M-x locate-library mailalias
=>  Library is file
/software/emacs/21.3/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/mail/mailalias.el.gz

Inspecting the file shows that it has a
  (provide 'mailalias)
So I guess that adding
  (require 'mailalias)