Re: place of .els

From: Gary Wessle
Subject: Re: place of .els
Date: 11 May 2006 13:59:29 +1000

"John Conrad" <john.emerson.conrad@gmail.com> writes:

> On 11 May 2006 08:17:57 +1000, Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I want to use extview.el which is not supplied by debian/testing, so I
> > downloaded it and now what? where do I place it to be safe? the
> > load-path has lots and lots of locations, should I place it somewhere
> > under /usr/local/...?
>

> I have a lisp directory in my home directory where I store files like the
> one you're talking about. I prefer this because I backup my home directory
> more carefully than /usr/local/, and it's where I put my own homemade elisp
> concoctions as well as those that don't come standard with emacs.
>
> Anyway, the point is that you're not limited to the locations that are
> currently listed in your load-path variable. If you want to add a new
> location to your load-path, add this line to your .emacs file:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/directory")

I did just that and placed in my .emacs the lines

(require 'extview)
(push '("\\.pdf$" . "xpdf %s") extview-application-associations)
(push '("\\.html$" . "firefox %s") extview-application-associations)

now when I C-x C-f a pdf file, it opens it with xpdf, but not a html
file where I expected it to use firefox, any idea why?