Re: place of .els

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: place of .els
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 18:23:02 +1000

Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:

> "John Conrad" <john.emerson.conrad@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 11 May 2006 08:17:57 +1000, Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I want to use extview.el which is not supplied by debian/testing, so I
>> > downloaded it and now what? where do I place it to be safe? the
>> > load-path has lots and lots of locations, should I place it somewhere
>> > under /usr/local/...?
>>

>> I have a lisp directory in my home directory where I store files like the
>> one you're talking about. I prefer this because I backup my home directory
>> more carefully than /usr/local/, and it's where I put my own homemade elisp
>> concoctions as well as those that don't come standard with emacs.
>>
>> Anyway, the point is that you're not limited to the locations that are
>> currently listed in your load-path variable. If you want to add a new
>> location to your load-path, add this line to your .emacs file:
>>
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/directory")
>

> I did just that and placed in my .emacs the lines
>
> (require 'extview)
> (push '("\\.pdf$" . "xpdf %s") extview-application-associations)
> (push '("\\.html$" . "firefox %s") extview-application-associations)
>
> now when I C-x C-f a pdf file, it opens it with xpdf, but not a html
> file where I expected it to use firefox, any idea why?

This is a wag (wild arse guess) and I've got no real facts, so I
cannot claim its a swag (scientific wild arse guess), but it could be
that *.html is associated with a mode in auto-mode-alist and that is
taking precedence over the external viewer alist. You could try
removing it and see if that helps.

Personally, I use browse-url to view a rendered version of an html
file and bind that to a key i.e.

(global-set-key "\C-c\C-z." 'browse-url-at-point)
(global-set-key "\C-c\C-zb" 'browse-url-of-buffer)
(global-set-key "\C-c\C-zr" 'browse-url-of-region)
(global-set-key "\C-c\C-zu" 'browse-url)
(global-set-key "\C-c\C-zv" 'browse-url-of-file)

(add-hook 'dired-mode-hook
                  (lambda ()
                        (local-set-key "\C-c\C-zf" 'browse-url-of-dired-file)))

Using customize, I have set the browse-url-function to my preferred
browser.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au