Re: CommonLisp development with Emacs

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: CommonLisp development with Emacs
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 08:08:14 +1000

michael.cadilhac@lrde.org (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

> "Anton V. Belyaev" <anton.belyaev@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> There is no support for CommonLisp (CLISP, EcoLisp...) out of the box.
>> I've found ILisp package for Emacs which provides support for
>> many CommonLisp implementations from Emacs.
>> But ILisp seems to be abandoned: its change is dated 2003 and I got
>> some compatibility
>> problems with my current Emacs version (22).
>>
>> Does Emacs suit for CommonLisp development?
>> What should I use for CL?
>
>   Isn't lisp-mode enough ?
>
>   I also have some files installed by gcl:
>   http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcl/gcl/elisp/
>
> --
>  |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac   |     Le copillage-collage               |
>  |         Epita/LRDE Promo 2007   |        tue le programmeur.             |
>  | http://www.lrde.org/~cadilh_m   |            -- Dictons LRDE             |
>  `--  -   JID: micha@amessage.be --'                                   -  --'

In comparison to slime, lisp-mode is *extremely* primitive. The
difference is very much like a comparison between a syntax
highlighting mode which allows advanced editing of common lisp
(lisp-mode) and a fully integrated common lisp development envrionment
(slime) which provides a lot of really neat features.

Anyone working with CL and emacs who is not running slime is really
missing out on a lot.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au