Harnessing emacs syntax highlighting

From: Ken Schutte
Subject: Harnessing emacs syntax highlighting
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 19:50:30 -0400

Hi,

I've looked at several syntax highlighters to produce color coded (etc) HTML from code, but I don't like any as much as the various highlighting modes built into emacs. I'd like to produce some html that looks just like how I view code in emacs (that would work with any language mode installed).

Is it possible for emacs to somehow output it's highlighting of a file? Does something like what I'm looking for exist? If not, would it be hard for a emacs-lisp newbie to try to hack this up?

thanks,
Ken