Re: Windows gets stuck when refill

From: roodwriter
Subject: Re: Windows gets stuck when refill
Date: 16 May 2006 13:51:43 -0400

"chris.corsair@gmail.com" <Chris.corsair@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm using emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) under WinXP.
> Everything is OK except that when I refill a paragraph by press M-q,
> the system gets stuck and cpu usage rises to 100%.  Then I have to kill
> the emacs process.  I have no idea at all about how does this happen...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Corsair

I can't tell you why it happens, but I have a suggestion. Have you
tried longlines.el? It's an add-on that word-wraps correctly without
leaving hard newlines/carriage returns. The only time I ever use fill
functions anymore is when writing responses to newsgroups, since some
newsreaders don't wrap correctly.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.